Tuesday, January 13, 2015

#4 - Bobbie the protein guru


Okay so Sunday I had my last diet pepsi in the house, oh god that's going to be rough since I'm a freakin junkie.....but I digress......

Yesterday I decided to start substituting my normal breakfast of two hard boiled eggs for a protein shake and to try to drink lots of water and not snack throughout the day - thought I might as well start scaling back on everything now so it's not a huge shock to my system next week when I actually have to start the real pre-op. Well I ended up with a doozy of a headache. I'm quite worried about how the heck I'm going to get down to 2-3 protein shakes and a salad with chicken for 14 days straight.

When I went to the chiropractor yesterday I wandered into the little health food store next door to look at protein powders. I started talking to the lady running the place and asked her about whether or not there are samples of protein powders you can buy so you don't have to pay $50 for a big tub just to find out you hate it. Well 'Bobbie' was actually really helpful. She gave me a bunch of different sample packs to try out as well as a shaker bottle to mix them - all for free; glad I went in!!

She explained a lot to me about the different types and what they do and we chatted about a friend of hers that had also gone for WLS before and some of the things that happened to her. She also told me that they have a rewards program AND that the first Wednesday of each month you get 25% of purchases, sweet deal! She even said that because I will be away having my surgery at the beginning of February when the next 'first Wednesday' will be that if I want I can come in beforehand and she will still give me the discount so I can stock up.

On the weekend I purchased all my vitamins and a pack each of vanilla and chocolate Atkins Advantage pre-mixed protein shake from Safeway to try out. They were $10 for 4 and have 15 grams of protein each. That's what I tried out yesterday and although the vanilla didn't taste half bad I still felt hungry.

I began thinking, I wonder if I find a protein powder that I actually enjoy if I can use that and mix it with skim milk to make my protein shakes for the 14 day pre-op. For one I will get more protein out of each shake and therefore be less hungry and I think I will also get a better bang for my buck. 

So I decided this morning to try out one of the ones she gave me - the Whey Protein Isolate Isoflex Chocolate. I don't have skim at home right now because the boys won't drink it so I mixed it with 1%. It says to mix the entire contents of the package (30 grams) with 5 oz of milk or water......okay really? 5 oz? Anyways I mixed the 30 grams with about 11 oz of the milk instead and used my little shaker cup to mix it all up. Since I used more than double the milk it would probably be way more chocolatey with the normal 5 oz but.....oh hey there's chocolate chips in this thing too.......oops "Squirrel"....sorry for the A.D.D moment - it was actually pretty good, I enjoyed the flavour.

She said that this company has a guy they pay to flavour stuff.....that's his job, he sits around testing flavours all the time.....hmmm that sounds like fun I wonder what he gets paid? Anyways, she said that they also have a cookies and cream one that's amazing but unfortunately she didn't have any testers of that, hmmm I wonder if I can get one.

I'll keep you posted on whether I feel hungry in a little bit or whether the difference between the 15 grams of protein and the 30+ grams of protein make a difference.




No comments:

Post a Comment